A Step By Step Guide To Optimising Google Places (video)
Top 20 Tips For Using Google Places To Boost Your Organic SEO In Local Search
My last post explained the basics of setting up your Google places account. The following tips demonstrate how to get the most out of Google places in order to boost your local search presence:
- Every business has its place on Google, BUT you must CLAIM your business place! Start by following the steps in my previous post.
- When you are asked to enter your email address use your business email, preferably one that is based on your business domain name, for example, sales@HubSiteBuilder.com
- Use your local telephone number as the primary number, and your 1800 or 1300 number as a secondary number
- In the description field provide helpful information that tells searchers what your business is really about
- When filling in the categories section you must use at least one Google approved category, and you can enter up to four more categories. This is a good opportunity to use your keywords in a meaningful way.
- At this stage in the process, you can claim your listing if Google has returned information that does, in fact, relate to your business, if not you can add a new listing. You will be given both those options.
- Service areas – if your business serves customers at their location you can choose to enter all the areas you service.
- Hide address – you would choose this option to hide your physical address if your business is home-based or mobile.
- Hours of operation – this section is fully customizable, including spitting your hours of operation in a single day… for example if you own a restaurant that is closed between meals.
- Payment options – be specific!
- Photos and videos are a great way to showcase your products and services. You can add up to 10 images, either from your computer or by using the URL of an image hosted on the web. You can add up to five videos by providing the link to the video. Please note that the video must be hosted on YouTube.
- Additional details – take advantage of this section to provide as much useful information to prospective customers as possible. Include information about parking options, special offerings, menus, reservations, and any industry awards or special recognition that your business has earned.
- Verify your listing – your Google places listing is not live until you enter your PIN, which you receive instantly via an automated phone message, or in one to three weeks via a postcard in the regular mail. If you choose to receive your PIN by phone you must be standing by, ready to record your PIN which will be repeated twice only before the call is automatically terminated. Enter your PIN and your verification is complete!
- Coupons – take advantage of the opportunity to add fully customizable coupons. You also have the choice of adding images and to be able to show coupons on mobile phones ( highly recommended).
- Account page – you can read visit this page at any time as the account owner to update your business information.
- Edit – use this section to update photos, videos etc.
- Delete – click on this option only if you close your business!
- After verification – your Google Places listing will show up on Google Maps, searchers will see your coupons, and you will have access to valuable analytic data including how many people saw your listing and what actions they took as a result.
- Reviews – reviews are written by Google maps users. Ranking of reviews is automatic and cannot be changed. However, a review can be changed by the original poster. Perhaps you could invite your happy customers to write a review on your products or services?
- Report incorrect information – Google pulls in information from all over the Internet to your Google places listing. If you see incorrect information on your listing or someone else’s please report it to Google via the Report A Problem link.
Your Next Step In Getting Your Business Found Online In Local Search
Go to www.Google.com/places and just do it!